Don't Miss the Moment







Bleary-eyed I stumble to the kitchen to pour myself a cup of coffee. As I look across the counter, I see the sun casting light on the corner of the room and in an instant I sense God's presence in the splash of sunrise.

"Wake up, Terri." "You are going to miss it." In that silent holy moment, I'm aware of Him nudging me to sit a while with Him.

I take my coffee and Bible and camera and head out to the back patio. As my eyes take in all the sights and sounds of early morning, I open up the Bible to the book of Acts where I left off.

Acts 2:28 is part of an Old Testament passage that Paul quotes and the words leap out at me. "You have made known to me the paths of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence."

I'm constantly on the lookout for joy and contentment and here I find the secret. In His presence is where I find it. As I spend time in God's presence and soaking in His word, I find the joy I so desparately want. 

And yet, the tendency is to look everywhere else for it. In my circumstances, in the affirmation of others, in my family and friends. But the only thing that will fill that void is coming into the presence of the Lord and allowing Him to fill the empty spaces in my life.

I watch the sun rise, listen to the birds singing, a squirrel gnawing away on an acorn, and feel the cool breeze blowing. All of creation bask in His presence. The universal chorus sounds day in and day out since the beginning of time. Yet, here I am, human and His ultimate creation, unable to stop for 30 minutes to sit and spend time in His presence.

There are days when I get up out of bed and pick up the Bible and then set it aside for my to-do list. And then I wonder why I can't find contentment and joy. I wonder why I am so easy to fall into discouragement.

Today, I stopped. I soaked in His presence. I felt His joy. I took notice. I didn't miss the moment.

My prayer is that I won't miss it tomorrow or the next day or the next. Each wonder-filled moment is waiting. But unless I stop and listen and come into the Lord's presence it will be an opportunity lost.

Comments

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live