A Dangerous Business







 


 

 






Dan and I went hiking yesterday back at the same spot where we had our 11.5 mile mishap last week. Only this time we got on the right trail loop and enjoyed a not so strenuous 6 mile hike through the forest.

Then we stopped at the Rimrock overlook and walked down to the huge rocks overlooking the valley and had lunch. It was such a pleasurable day.

I grew up in the Catskill Mountains and one of my favorite places to be is out in the woods. I can think more clearly as I walk there. Dan and I enjoy conversation but more often than not, we are silent as we walk, each lost in our own thoughts and enjoyment of the forest.

Sometimes I solve a problem in my head. Other times I get writing inspiration. And still other times, I hear the Lord speaking to me about something. I often have to wipe away the spider threads that hit my face as I walk between bushes. They have spun their webs overnight. The occasional fly or mosquito tries to bite me. But the only wildlife we've seen so far are chipmunks, squirrels and deer and the occasional garter snake which is harmless. 

In all Dan's years of ministry he never really would take a full day off of work, so I'm thankful that we have worked hard at doing that here. It's been a great day of rest and reconnecting for us. We are getting out and enjoying our new surroundings. We are being rejuvenated for the week ahead of us. The hardest part is having to leave. I can relate so well to this quote by Tolkein. 

“It’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there’s no knowing where you might be swept off to.” - J.R.R. Tolkein

Comments

  1. What a lovely day! I am glad that Dan takes time to just be "Dan". I loved everything about the hike except the garter snake. EWWW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was busy trying to get away and is harmless. They don't really bother me as long as they stay outside! lol

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live