Focused Vision

 

In the second book of Kings, chapter 6, we read of a story about the King of Aram and the King of Israel. These two nations were at war with each other and each time the King of Aram attempted to ambush Israel he was thwarted. Somehow the King of Israel would learn of his plans and escape. So the King of Aram accuses his servants of being spies.

However, they assure the king that the prophet in Israel, Elisha, is the one spilling the beans to the King of Israel. God is allowing Elisha to know ahead of time of the attempts to attack Israel. So the King of Aram attempts a stealthy night attack to capture Elisha. When Elisha's servant wakes up the next day he sees the city surrounded by chariots, soldiers and horses and he is panicked!

Elisha tells him not to be afraid and then prays that the Lord would open his eyes so he would see what Elisha sees. And there on the hillside is a vast army from the Lord with chariots of fire. God's heavenly host is ready to do battle to protect this servant of the Lord.

As a Christian woman in ministry, I know that I am in a spiritual battle. I am serving the Lord but there are days when I feel like I'm fighting an army. I'm in a spiritual war as I try to share God's love and message with others. I'm working hard to minister to others, but there are times when it is discouraging and overwhelming. I want to give up and give in to inner voice that says, "What is the use?"

And then God leads me to read this passage that reminds me there is a spiritual battle going on in this world. And the enemy would love nothing more than for me to give in to despair and discouragement and fear. Ephesians 6:11-13 says, "Put on the full armor of God so that you can stand against the tactics of the Devil. For our battle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the world powers of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavens. This is why you must take up the full armor of God, so that you may be able to resist in the evil day, and having prepared everything, to take your stand."

It's easy to fall into apathy as a believer. I see it every day. Christians get side-tracked with entertainment, with work, with politics, with social media, and a host of other things that take their focus off the things that God cares about. They want to be spoon-fed God's word. They rely on a few hurried verses and popcorn prayers. They want to hear a good sermon and then go home and get back to their own lives.

And yet, God has something more for them. God has a purpose for their life. God wants to go deeper with them. God wants to use them to further His kingdom. And He wants that for all believers, regardless of whether they are in full time ministry or not.

My prayer is that rather than be discouraged, that He would give me a focused vision so I would continue to see that there is a spiritual battle going on. I want to remember that I have an army fighting for me. I want the blinders to come off so that I can be more effective in ministry. I don't want to get sidetracked and begin to major in the minors. I want to remain focused on the ministry that He has called me to do.

How about you? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live