Sanctuary


I rounded the corner on my walk this morning and the sight was spectacular. Sunbeams made their way through the trees and lit up the pavement with a light that was breath-taking. If I hadn't been paying attention I would have missed it.

So often we speed through our days totally unaware of God's presence around us. We have our heads buried in our screens or our to-do lists and we miss so much. We don't slow our brains down long enough to hear His voice.

We don't create sanctuary for His presence to come in. We are distracted, busy, and stressed. And we erroneously believe that we have to carve out large chunks of time away in order to experience peace and God's presence. 

And yet, I have found it's the small little moments in a day that add up. It's taking time each day to spend it in God's word and prayer. It's when I allow some margin in my life and then keep my eyes open that moments like the one this morning happen.

I almost didn't walk this morning because I have a lot to do and had a meeting at 10. But instead, I made myself go because I need the exercise, and also it helps to clear my head. 

I'm thankful I did because as I walked and prayed, I experienced this beautiful moment of sanctuary. 

Comments