A Faulty Work Ethic




I often find myself with a performance mentality. I must work hard, do everything with excellence, put my best foot forward and somehow I'll be worthy of approval from people. 



This often carries over into my relationship with God. If only I do this ministry, or never mess up, or help so many people I'll earn His approval. If I'm the perfect wife, mother, pastor's wife, friend and neighbor, all will be well. In my head I know this is not what He expects, but my actions often show otherwise. 


Now there is absolutely nothing wrong with a good work ethic. That's not what I'm saying. I want to be the best wife, mother, pastor's wife, friend and neighbor that is possible for me to be. But I need to recognize that I'm going to fail at times and yet, I'm still forgiven.


This morning, as I had my quiet time, these verses popped out at me and in particular, the bolded words.

Ephesians 2:4-9 ~

But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love that He had for us, made us alive with the Messiah even though we were dead in trespasses. You are saved by grace! Together with Christ Jesus He also raised us up and seated us in the heavens, so that in the coming ages He might display the immeasurable riches of His grace through His kindness to us in Christ Jesus. For you are saved by grace through faith, and this is not from yourselves; it is God’s gift— not from works, so that no one can boast. 

It's great to have a good work ethic, but it can be faulty when it comes to my spiritual life. There is nothing I can do to earn my salvation. No amount of good works will keep me in God's favor. There is no merit of my own that made me deserve God's mercy. It's solely due to the grace of God. It's a gift that is freely given and not earned.

That was a good reminder this morning. Because no matter how much I strive to be perfect, I never will be. No matter how much I work at doing things with excellence, I'm going to mess up. When it comes to my salvation, it is only through the amazing grace of God I have received it. I didn't have to do good works to earn it and I don't have to keep striving to keep it.

That brings joy to my heart and is a good reminder to us all.

You are saved by grace alone! God calls us Saints and it is only through the work Christ did on the cross that is possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live