Amazing Grace


My sister and I were so blessed to have the opportunity to do what most don't have the chance to do which is care for our mom at the end of her life.

It has been a hard month, but one I would never take back. I'm thankful I made the decision to not go home for Thanksgiving because Mom passed away on Tuesday night. And I'm thankful that God gave us what we desired which was to be there with her by ourselves when it happened.

We laid her to rest the day after Thanksgiving in a small ceremony officiated by my brother-in-law. She loved autumn so we picked colors we knew she'd love. She is in a crypt next to my grandmother and my stepdad has a space next to her.

I have many overwhelmingly sad emotions this morning. My mom was our greatest supporter and the one I could always turn to when I needed a listening ear. I also feel like I've lost a dad too. My stepdad has dementia and is going to live with his daughter. He will be well cared for and loved, but mom was our connecting link. I'm afraid that at some point in the near future he won't even remember who we are.

I'm headed home this morning and we will be back after the holidays to empty out the house. However, it won't be the same. The loved ones who made the house a place where we were welcomed are gone and all that is left are meaningless trinkets.

Our lives will go on and I'm thankful that I will always have the memory of being there at the end of Mom's life. It was a difficult Thanksgiving, but God's blessing was evidenced in many ways. That is a blessing that will stay with me always.

God's grace is amazing and sufficient for all our needs. I'm seeking His grace to see me through the hard road of grief ahead.


Comments

  1. Terri, I'm so glad you listened to the still small voice, and stayed with your mum. What a comfort you and your family must have been to her, even if apparently she did not know you were there. I firmly believe that at the end of life one is aware of the presence of loved ones, somewhere deep inside.
    Sending you my sympathies and a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God for whispering to you to stay, and for being so gracious and merciful to your mom, your sister, and you. I pray that He blesses you with strength, comfort, peace, and even joy in the days ahead. May you sense His loving arms holding you as you grieve the loss of your precious mother.
    ~Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending sympathy, prayer and love.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live