God's Promise

When I was going through my mother's things, I found this poem  that was written by my Grandmother. You wrote it when her second husband, Penny, passed away. I'm putting together a box of things to send to my uncle and some of these I'm copying for myself. 

God's Promise

When sorrow captures you in its cold hard hand
And holds you there like a vise, 
And the ache in your heart is a bold demand
That binds you like you're frozen in ice.

Think of your loved one who is now free
Of life's sorrow and bodily pain,
Where time and toil have no meaning at all,
Who is whole and like new again.

Think of the freedom not to be weighted down
By the need to have to breathe air,
Where life knows only goodness and joy abounds
And there is no hurt or despair.

Where hunger and thirst are completely unknown,
Where it's never too hot or too cold,
Could you wish him back to Earth's sinful ways?
Think what it's like not to grow old.

Where flowers don't die and birds always sing
Perched on GOD'S outstretched arms.
Could you wish him back to Earth's sinful ways
With all of life's strife and alarm?

Rest well, dear loved one. The test is now over,
And although you may have passed with a "C"
Still you made it through those Heavenly gates,
Pray I can come too with my "D".

~ Mary B. Pennypacker in loving memory of William Earl Pennypacker, 2001

Isn't that sweet? I found a poem written by my mother as well that I'll post a different day. I love these bits of talent from the women in my family.

Comments

  1. Beautiful words! Thank you for sharing! How special this must be for you!! I couldn't help but notice how much your daughter looks like her!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Emily definitely does! It has been special to find these little tidbits. Thanks Mari Beth!

      Delete
  2. Amazing! Oh to pass the test and be freed from the heartaches of this broken world. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live