Heart on my Sleeve







As a child, I remember getting scolded for crying so much. I would cry over movies, if someone looked at me cross-eyed, or if a sappy song came on the radio. I often felt as if something was wrong with me because I was so sensitive.

As an adult, I've learned to control that. I mean no one really wants to hang out with someone who bawls at everything! 😉 However, I'm still a sensitive soul and I still do wear my heart on my sleeve much of the time. It's difficult for me not to strongly empathize with another's pain, joy, and other emotions. It's difficult for me not to be able to express my own at times.

I have learned that I'm more of an empath when it comes to my sensitivity. I absorb other's emotions. I'm creative and artistic. I identify with people like David in the Bible who was able to write about his emotions. And that's okay. God has wired me that way. It's what makes me able to connect with people in a way that others don't.

But it can be exhausting. It's hard to shut off that emotional/feeling valve. It's difficult to not read too much into every interaction I have and I'm my own worse critic. I've come to the conclusion though that this is how I'm made. The very emotions that exhaust me are the ones that help my creative streak. I don't let my emotions master me, but they are part of who I am.

I think that's probably why I love Valentine's Day activities so much. Not because I need flowers and presents, but because I can express that pent-up emotion by showering love on my family. 

It's the bright spot in a dreary month! So while I wear my heart on my sleeve and sometimes try and cover it up, I can let it all hang out this month! 🤣

Comments

  1. I can so relate. As a child if I was spoken to in a raised voice it could produce tears. I would perseverate for days if friends did something without me, overanalyze any comment made to me for hidden motives. I have thankfully become less sensitive to what others say or do but have not lost the ability to empathize. Being sensitive in this harsh world is indeed a gift. Your blog is so full of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've learned to rein it in too, Theresa. I am thankful for it though because it does help me in ministering to others.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live