Keeping OFF the Bunny Trails


Ephesians 6:19 ~ 

Pray also for me. Pray that when I open my mouth, the right words will be given to me. Then I can be bold as I tell the mystery of the good news.

My personality has always been such that I love trying new things. I enjoy being active and I can honestly say that I am never bored.

Unfortunately, I do get distracted very easily.  I work hard to stay focused and yet, sometimes find myself veering off course. I've come to the conclusion that I will always have numerous things going on in my life because that's how I'm wired, but I do know that I need to keep the bunny trails to a minimum.

My husband and I met at seminary and we both had a very clear and discernible call upon our lives to go into full-time ministry. Mine happened in high school and Dan during his later years at college. We both have the gift of teaching, and a strong desire to teach God's word to others.

In 2019 I completed the heavy coursework in order to become consecrated in our denomination and last year we accepted a call in a new church with a new congregation. 

It's been a year of distractions between my mother passing away and trying to figure out what to do in a pandemic. My role in our district has shifted a bit and I've had to move our women's ministry in the district through change. I've struggled with my own personal grief and depression.

And we are in a church where my role is so different than any I've ever had and I'm still trying to figure it all out. To be honest, none of the things I've done in our other churches have been necessary for me to do, nor does anyone really seem to need me to do those things.

However, God keeps reminding me of His calling on my life and I want to stay focused on that.

The Bible is a mystery to many.  It's hard for some to understand. Many people never crack open their Bible, or they think it's just a list of do's and don'ts.  My desire has always been to get people to truly understand the wonderful message the Lord has for us. And I don't want to just superficially teach it. So much of what I see in women's teaching is fluff, and fluff just blows away in the wind.

And at the same time, I have a very strong desire to encourage women. Let's face it, ladies, life can be stressful! We all struggle and need to know we are not alone in that struggle. That is why I've always tried to be transparent in my own struggles and yet, point people to the One who has the answers.

My prayer for you is that you will dig deep into God's word. That you will discover the rich truths found in there, and more importantly, it will come alive for you. It's not just some useless book, written thousands of years ago. It is the living, breathing, word of God that has application for our lives today.

This blog has changed much over the years as my children have grown up and out of the house. It's less about homemaking and childrearing. However, the main goal of encouraging women through my writing has stayed the same.

Perhaps I haven't stumbled that far onto bunny trails after all! 🙂

Comments

  1. AMEN, Terri, in your encouragement about God’s LIVING Word! And, as always, thank you for sharing your life, struggles AND triumphs, with us. May your Sunday be restful. Conni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri , you are an encouragement, in all your writings and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara. I'm glad you find it encouraging.

      Delete
  3. I can relate to everything you have said in this post, Terri. Like you, I am never bored, but until I read what you wrote, I never connected that with the fact that I also am so easily distracted and tend to run down many bunny trails. Like you, I have also been struggling with depression and grief and with changing roles in my life. And also like you, I've been finding deep satisfaction in God's living word. I've been reading and praying the Psalms morning and evening, and that nearly always reorients my perspective in needed way. Thank you for your writing; it is a much-needed encouragement to live with honesty and faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement, Melissa! We will have to figure out a way to reconnect. My speaking engagement in the Hudson Valley got canceled so that idea went out the window!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live