Taste and See

Click.

Last Monday night as I was walking up the steps from our family room I felt something give in my knee. Instantly I was transported back to a time when pain, knee braces, hobbling around and crutches were my norm. It seems as if I've re-torn my meniscus and after a visit to the doctor, who wasn't very helpful with a solution, certain things in my life have come to a halt. 

There are no more markets for the rest of the season. No more walks through the woods. There is not much of anything except sitting. I have moments when it doesn't hurt so much and I can almost walk normally and will get a few things done. However, after a few minutes of this, it flares back up, and I'm in my recliner with an ice pack on my knee.

It feels like insult has been added to injury. The season I'm in has really taken on a nightmarish quality in many ways. I miss taste and smell. I miss walking and breathing in the fresh scents as I walk through an open meadow. I miss my mother. I miss the normal things I've done for years.

The world seems out of control, and at times, my anxious thoughts can threaten to spiral me topsy-turvy too. Yet, the one constant that brings peace is the time each morning when I open God's word and spend time in prayer. 

Perspective and peace return. I remember that God is in control. While I can't breathe in earthly scents and I can't taste earthly food, I can breathe in the sweet scent of Him. When all around me seems as if it's in chaos, I have a refuge to whom I can turn.

Psalm 34:8 ~ Taste and see that the Lord is good.

    Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in him!

Comments

  1. Oh Terri, I am so sorry to read this. You have really had a rough, rough year. All you say is true and is the way to regain and keep perspective, but that doesn't mean it isn't hard at the same time. You will be in my prayers for healing and also for grace for every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melissa. I appreciate the prayers!

      Delete
  2. I have the same injury. I tore my meniscus in my left knee back on July 20. I was trying to teach my teenage granddaughter the dance "the hustle", I turned and suddenly heard a loud snap and felt like the inside of my knee snapped like a twig. I went down, in extreme pain, could not walk. Ended up in ER, wrapped knee and a walker. Had a MRI and just now going to have 6 weeks of physical therapy. If it is not better, then surgery. It feels so painful in my knee all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my doctor told me they are not quick to do surgery and I do know my insurance won't even do an MRI without the physical therapy. I had to laugh because most of my injuries I get are ones that athletes get and yet, I'm no athlete! lol This started from standing too long, baking for the farmer's market. (insert eye roll emoji - lol)

      Delete
    2. I had to laugh, an athletic injury. I feel you! You had to see me at the ER as a 58 year old woman trying to explain the "old" dances from the 70's I was trying to teach my granddaughter. "Well, I started with The Bump and she thought that was funny so I moved on to The Hustle". Young doctor did not know either dance!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.