When the Corn is Getting High










The corn is getting high in the field, the sun is setting at a different angle, the days have grown a bit shorter. We are finishing the first week of August and before I know it, autumn will be here in the Northeast. Summer is a very short season.

I don't feel like I really had a summer this year. Our vacation was spent doing just a few hikes because it rained the whole time. I've been busy with the market. And now I'm busy in a caretaking role so we won't be taking any more vacation days this summer.

But there have been small moments here or there that I have enjoyed. I'm trying to make a conscious effort to stop and sit a while and enjoy my back patio. To take in the sunrise or the sunset. To appreciate the small things.

The other morning as I sat and read, I heard a rustling and looked up to see a little junco sitting on one of my patio chairs and watching me. It was joined by a friend and they were entertaining for about 20 minutes as they flittered back and forth between the tree and my flowers on the patio. 

And that's really what life is about, isn't it? Not the grand wonderful times, but the small stolen moments here or there when you feel a bit of happiness and lightness even in the middle of stress.

If we could learn to stop always searching for the grandiose and enjoy the ordinary, I think life would be much sweeter. We would learn how to be content with what is before us and stop feeling like we are missing out on something.

The corn is high and fall will be here soon. But even in the middle of falling leaves or wild and white snowstorms that will come all too soon, I still want to appreciate the small moments of life.

Comments

  1. 'The small stolen moments here or there'....I understand that so well. They are so meaningful in spite of being ephemeral.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and definitely you need to be in-tune to them or else you'll miss them!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live