When Your Plans are Derailed

"Mom fell and fractured her pelvis." 

This is the phone call I received from my sister-in-law last Tuesday. One minute I was happily doing some work at the church and mentally preparing what I was going to do to get ready for the market on Thursday. I was going to get started on some coursework for classes I'm taking in the fall. The next moment, I was racing home so Dan could head out to the hospital to be with his sister and dad.

After hours of waiting and fighting an internal battle against selfishness, I decided that since I don't have a full-time job, I could go and care for her when she came home from the hospital. I spent the week at my in-law's house, care-taking, cleaning and cooking. My sister-in-law came and relieved me on Friday and I'm headed back for the week today.

It's hard when these things happen. It's hard for the person they happen to, and difficult for those around them who feel the effects of the circumstances. And yet, we have no control over anything. We can plan and prepare and do all we can to control our environment. And yet, one misstep and all those plans come tumbling down.

The only control I have is over my own response and attitude and words. I can control how I approach these circumstances. I can control whether I'll face them with grace and patience or bitterness and anger.

It was a difficult week and this week will be too. All of our lives are on hold at the moment. Our time is spent in ways we didn't plan for nor how we want it to be spent. But this Monday, as I face an uncertain week, I want to be thankful for the multitude of blessings that are before me. I want to face it with fresh eyes and with gratitude in my heart for what lies ahead.

Comments

  1. I do understand what you are going through Terri. It's true that we cannot control our lives, only God. I hope things get easier for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara. My sisters-in-law felt it was best for her to go to a rehab center and God moved mountains so that rather than the week it would take, they were able to get her in there this evening. So I am back home and we all will take turns going and checking on my father-in-law and taking him to visit her and feed him. God is good!

      Delete
  2. Bless you ❤️ It’s hard, isn’t it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Patience is definitely a virtue. :-)

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear about your MIL. May the Lord bless you both as you spend time with each other.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.