When You've Been on Either End of the Pointing Finger

We've all been at the end of them. We've all pointed them.

"Why can't the pastor be more like Pastor John?" "Can you believe she wore that to church?"  "Did you hear what he did last night?"  "Do you know what she said?" "Did you hear that Jeff is mad at Tom?" "I don't like to gossip...but..."

We whisper these things and then we wonder why people avoid Christians. Why people can't see Jesus when we are supposed to represent him? Why the church is filled with the walking wounded?

There have been times when I've been guilty at times of pointing my finger. Of judging someone based on their exterior instead of looking at their heart. I've been guilty of the whispers and the stares.

"Lord, forgive me.  Help me to get out of the way so people can see around me to you."

I've felt the staring eyes boring deep into my soul. The pointed fingers. The heat in my cheeks. The whispers behind my back. The stabbing pain in my heart.

"Lord, forgive them.  Help me to see the pain in them that has created a critical spirit and love them anyway.  Help them to see you in my reactions."

There is a song by one of my favorite groups, Casting Crowns, that says it well. Jesus, a friend of sinners.  Break my heart for what breaks yours.  



Words have the power to heal or the power to wound. They either bring life or they bring death. James 3:9-12 says, "With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers and sisters, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water." This is quite a strong statement and yet, why do we continue to do what we know is wrong?

Let's speak words of healing and life. Let's speak words that point people to Christ. Let's turn those pointing fingers into open palms of  healing, belonging, love and grace.  A hand reaching out to the hurting.  A hand reaching to help another.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live