Connections to my Past

















It was a busy and productive week which consisted of canning tomatoes, peaches and sauerkraut. It was made up of cooking some delicious meals so my son, Stephen, who was visiting, could eat some homecooked food. It involved gardening, writing a theology paper, children's ministry, teaching two Bible study classes, doing some district work, sewing, and physical therapy appointments. 

I'm trying to restock my Etsy shop which was depleted after taking much of my inventory to a friend's shop. And I've done so well there that my sewing machine is humming away trying to restock items I took to her store. It's a good problem to have!

Next week I have pumpkins to process as well as apples. This is absolutely my favorite time of the year and I love everything about fall. Last year I missed most of it in caring for my mom so I have a new appreciation for the season.

I'm so thankful for the women in my life - my grandmothers and my mom, as well as other wise women who taught me to appreciate the arts of sewing, cooking, baking, gardening and canning. They are such simple things, but they connect me to the women of my past and conjure up memories of watching my grandmother roll out pies and my mother canning peaches. 

They are simple things, but beautiful things. I love seeing my daughter's pictures of different dishes she is making and her excitement over farmer's market finds because I realize how much she learned by watching me. 

These small connections to my past bring a smile to my face. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live