A Birthday Poem


Happy Birthday to me!
I woke up to 60 this morning
How in the world can that be?

I was once young and carefree
But when I look in the mirror
Gray hair and wrinkles I see.

Each line tells a story
Each gray hair shares a tale
Of hard times and good, worry and glee.

As I enter the seventh decade of me
I want to embrace each moment
Because I know there are no guarantees

Each day is a gift from God who sees
He holds our days in His hands
He provides for all our needs.

Each morning I will rise and say
Thank you, Lord, for a new opportunity
To serve you each day.


Okay, a poet I am not! It's interesting how different birthday affect you differently. I was not bothered by any of the previous ones, but 60 for some reason has left a bad taste in my mouth. Well, not literally, since I still can't taste or smell since having covid last February! 😉

I've been sick for over a week (took a few covid tests and they were negative) so it seems to be just a head cold. But I'm coughing, sneezing, stuffed up, and feel like I spend most of the day with my mouth hanging open so I can breathe. It's not the epitome of attractiveness! 

But I decided that despite not feeling well, I am going to celebrate in some small way each day. It started on Sunday afternoon when my poor husband, who struggles to surprise me, said, "I had planned on a get together with the rest of the family at a restaurant." "Do you feel up to it?" Because that day I was feeling a bit better, I rallied myself and went and had a fun time with everyone.


This morning, Emily called to tell me I should be receiving a delivery today. Dan gave me this as one of my gifts and I love it! Looking forward to gleaning some new insights from it.


He had planned on taking me to dinner tonight, but we may need to scratch that plan and just bring something here. It will depend on how I feel.

So while 60 seems like a weird number to be, I am going to embrace it and work on enjoying each day, appreciating each moment and continuing to walk where the Lord leads.

Comments

  1. Happy birthday- God bless you today and always - may He continue to guide you in your 60s as He has done in every previous decade. Trust me, there will be new vistas ahead, and areas of service you have never dreamed of, which He has planned for you. Peace, joy and love, from your sister across the pond 💗🙏🕊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday. Hope you have your best year yet :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your poem. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday dear Terri....60 is young!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! I turn 59 this year, the years have flown by too quickly! And I hope you feel better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen! I'm coming to the end of whatever I had and am starting to feel a bit like my "OLD" self! lol

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live