The Home Stretch


I am going to turn 60 years old next week and it's a bit of a jolt to realize that the amount of life I have left to live is shorter than the amount of life I've already lived. Yikes!

I'm thankful for the things that I've experienced in my life. They have made me into the woman I am today and God has used all of them to mold me and He has allowed me to be effective in the ministry I have. 

It's been a good life. Years ago, I made the decision to quit my full-time job and stay home with my children. I endured many people who thought it was foolish and I struggled at times with my decision as well, but I am thankful I did that. I wanted something different for my children than what I had. 

Much of my adult life was spent in care of my family. For many years I taught my children at home, made ends meet on one income, and ministered alongside Dan in church ministry. It was hard at times, but my schedule was my own, I was available not only for my own family, but for my church family.

It was also fun to hone skills passed down from generations and to learn new skills. This month I've mastered how to make sourdough bread. 



Now that my children are out of the house and on their own, I've learned new skills in ministry. Two years ago I completed the process of consecration in our denomination and have a larger role not only in our own church but in our district.

I've learned new skills in web design. I've been able to travel to conferences and retreats that I wasn't able to go to when the kids were young. 

I can partner better with my husband in ministry because I'm no longer responsible for the care of small children. I am in leadership because of changed circumstances, as well as following the Lord's leading. I have more time devoted to being able to visit people, teach, preach, write and counsel. 



I am thankful for my life and now that I'm in the home stretch I want to continue to do those things I enjoy, learn new things, and follow in the path that the Lord leads.

Comments

  1. Totally supporting your decision Terri - we took the same path, and God has blessed us so much. Now we are retired, we are finding new areas of service for Him, and in these past 9 months since leaving "The Manse" and moving into our little bungalow, we have known much joy. We have also appreciated the freedom from 'official' church roles, which has enabled us to support our wider family through some really tough times in recent days[not all of which could be shared publicly on my blog] We've been both busy and blessed. But Bob made me smile on Sunday - as we woke to a more relaxed Sabbath he said "this is wonderful, but I keep expecting the Lord to say 'OK that's it for now- back to full time ministry!'" may you know His guidance and blessing too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it's a big adjustment! But it would be nice to have a bit more freedom to do what I want to do.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live