A Lesson in Patience





My Thanksgiving cactus is blooming and confused!


Spring is slowly making it's way to Western New York. It's still chilly and rain is always part of this time of the year, but my tulip shoots are up through the ground, there are some warmer days and the robins are back. Before I know it, warm weather will be here.

I went to a meeting the other night for the upcoming farmer's market and my mind is turning towards the summer season. I've been busy making bottles of vanilla extract. The vanilla beans need to steep for 6-8 weeks so this is the time to get them ready.

I'm going to have to start making soap again since those take about 6 weeks to cure. I bought some lavender buds to use in various soaps and other crafts and it smells heavenly. I can't smell many things, but that scent is coming through.

All this preparation and then waiting for things to cure and mature before they are ready, reminds me of our Christian walk. A lot of our life seems to be waiting and maturing. Often we want to run ahead of the Lord and He tells us, "Wait." "You are not ready." "You need more time." And sometimes He says, "That is not my plan for you."

I was never a fan of waiting, and when I was younger I often raced ahead without weighing the consequences or waiting for God's timing. I'm thankful that as I've matured and gotten older, I'm learning to slow down and wait until I hear from the Lord. Perhaps that is the lesson in waiting. To realize that waiting isn't a bad thing. It's an opportunity to grow, mature and be ready for what is ahead.

If you use the vanilla extract before it's ready, it will just be vanilla-flavored alcohol without any bold vanilla taste. If you use soap before it's fully cured, it will melt away within a few days. The same is true of us. If we rush ahead of the Lord's timing, we will be weak and ineffective and melt at the first sign of hot water.

I love lessons that I can learn from everyday things. Be encouraged in the waiting, my friends. God's timing is perfect!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live