When Mother's Day Leaves You Disappointed


Yesterday was the day when mothers everywhere either had a wonderful day or a disappointing day. It was a day when you were showered with love and attention or a day when your family failed you.

For others it was a heartbreaking day of reminders of loss or inability to have children of your own. It was a day that you hoped would be over as soon as possible.

While I had a very good day yesterday, and my family did a great job showing me their love, as I've gotten older one of the things that has helped me enjoy Mother's Day is to begin to stop expecting my family to turn into a Hallmark movie. 😀

On Mother's Day they are the same people I loved on Saturday and yet, so often throughout the years, I expected some miraculous presentations of love. Often times they truly did shine. But then there were years when I was left feeling dejected. 

That is until I began to lower the unrealistic expectations that not even Jesus could fulfill! My family is who they are, warts and all, and so is yours. I no longer wanted to allow a man-made holiday dictate how my day was going to go.

So this weekend, was a good one because rather than look at what everyone else was doing, I enjoyed each moment with my family and took what was offered with thanksgiving. 

This weekend I was thankful for the following:

💙 Stephen, who came home to spend the weekend here to celebrate Mother's Day with me.


💙 Beautiful weather to get out and enjoy nature.



💙 Having a productive Saturday afternoon. I was able to wash all of my windows, inside and out, as well as the screens. It's nice to see the grime and dust gone!

💙 Being able to cook some delicious meals for my family. One of the ways I show love is through my cooking so it's enjoyable.

Homemade Ramen

Sourdough Everything Bagels

💙 A husband who bought me beautiful flowers.

💙 Being able to bring the message at church yesterday.

💙 An enjoyable afternoon yesterday as we walked by the lake and had lunch together with all three of my children, along with Emily's boyfriend. 



💙 Living close enough to my inlaws to bring them lunch today to celebrate Mother's Day with my mother-in-law.

and finally...

💙 Having a great night's sleep and waking up to the sun shining in.



Comments

  1. Yes do not it expect it to be "Hallmark" . Oh so true
    To me it is just another day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Just another day" has been the best way to handle it, I have found. Also, getting my eyes off what everyone else is doing! My family is wonderful and they do try to make it nice, but comparison is always a bad thing.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live