Thursday's Child


Do you remember the nursery rhyme, Monday's Child? It goes like this.

Monday’s child is fair of face
Tuesday’s child is full of grace
Wednesday’s child is full of woe
Thursday’s child has far to go
Friday’s child is loving and giving
Saturday’s child works hard for his living
And the child that is born on the Sabbath day
Is bonny and blithe, and good and gay.

I was born on a Thursday and I had to laugh when I read the line, Thursday's child as far to go, because I often feel like that. While I know it's just a silly rhyme, it does fit my personality. I try my best to do a good job at all I do, but often feel like it's not quite enough or if I'm lacking in some way. 

The past few years have been a struggle for me as everything I hold dear has changed. I miss my mother who passed away a year and a half ago. I miss my children being little and having them at home. My ministry role has changed.  I'm feeling very lonely. Everything is different and I've been floundering. 

I've even had thoughts of feeling like every single thing I've done in my life is totally meaningless and insignificant and that I've failed miserably. I know those are lies straight from the enemy so I do my best to fight them down. But in the dark of the night, those lies are whispered and I have to fight an internal battle against discouragement. 

So I'm thankful that I can open up God's word and know what He says about me. I remember the most important proclamation that God makes. Romans 8:1-2 says, Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. And because you belong to him, the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death. 

So while the enemy feeds me a string of lies that condemn, I remind myself of what the Lord says about me. I am chosen, I am loved, I am precious in His sight, I am a child of God, I am His heir, I am forgiven, and I am significant in His eyes.

And so while I have far to go, as we all do, God loves me where I am and will walk with me along the journey. Growth is a life-long process and I'm thankful that as long as I never get content with staying still, I will continue to grow.






Comments

  1. This blog is a ministry in itself Terri. I know that I, and I'm sure others, have been helped by many of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara. I've struggled with it the past few years because I start to wonder if anyone really gets much out of it. So thank you for that encouragement!

      Delete
  2. The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in Him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise Him. Ps. 28:7

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't know me, but I feel I know you somewhat from the CHF board many years ago. I just want to say, I admired you then, and you continue to encourage me with your hard work and faithfulness. I have one of your aprons, and occasionally think of you when I wear it (which is often...). And then I sometimes think about what I'm thankful to the Lord for--because that's an example you've set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you, Karen! I do remember you and remember those CHF Board conversations with fondness. Thank you for the encouragement!

      Delete
  4. I have never commented but have read all your posts for a long time and they have helped me more than I can explain. Thank you for your ministry. Michele in NoCarolina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that, Michele. And thank you for faithfully reading my blog!

      Delete
  5. Your blog means a lot to me. I have anxiety, panic attacks, some agoraphobia, lots of fears. I push on and really take to heart what you write. Sometimes you will write an experience of yours and I can relate so much. You dont know how much of a comfort your blog is to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that. I'm thankful you find help in what I write.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live