A Joyful Week

 

What a head-spinning, tiring, exhilarating, crazy, joyful week I've had. For the first time in a very long time, I've felt that I was working once again in the lane that God has set me in and it was a wonderful sensation. 

It started with a woman's retreat for our district. We had 133 ladies in attendance and it was an opportunity for them to come and hear from our session speakers, International Workers, as well as get out in nature and a camp setting to hear from God. 


I had different prayer stations set up around the camp and that seemed to go over well. In fact, I had a college student say to me that she was excited to go through them because normally at events you sit and listen, but never get an opportunity to participate. Then she said that she felt it was good practice for those who were uncomfortable praying because there was enough direction through the guided stations and they could go at their own pace. I thought that was great insight from a 20-something-year-old.


I got to reconnect with friends whom I love. 

There was a beautiful sunrise. The weather was perfect for the two days of the retreat.

On Sunday morning I was on the road by 6 a.m. to travel to my next destination. I preached in the morning service and then spoke at a ladies luncheon afterwards. 

I do have to say that it was affirming to me to be able to speak and get great feedback. It helps when you see the audience smiling and nodding and answering questions aloud. When I'm trying to speak or teach to an audience that looks disinterested I always come away discouraged and start to doubt my ability. But all three times I spoke this weekend were great because the audience was engaged. 

While affirmation is not needed, it certainly is nice to receive! The pastor of the church where I filled in wrote me a wonderful review that I can add to my website and it's been nice to hear him weaving my message all throughout his daily video devotionals.



After the luncheon, I was on my way again and stopped at a hotel that was halfway to my next destination. I drove through the Adirondack mountains and the leaves have started to change on that side of the state so I had gorgeous views the entire trip!



My destination was a visit to my stepdad whom I haven't seen since my mother's funeral almost two years ago. He is 90 and in a nursing home about 3 miles from his daughter's house. He has Alzheimer's and I wasn't sure what to expect. His daughter had gone to pick him up and he was at her house when I arrived. 

He looked wonderful and is in fairly good physical health. He doesn't seem to age physically. However, there was definitely a change in his mental state. He kept talking about his job and students and other things that didn't make a lot of sense. It was difficult for him to get his thoughts out and finish his sentences. 

After lunch he said he wanted to go because he needed to check on things at the job. We ended up taking him back to the nursing home where he perked up a bit and we were able to spend another 40 minutes or so visiting with him.

I'm thankful I was able to go. He has always been one of the sweetest and most gentle men I know and so it was good to see him again. The only thing I was so annoyed at myself about is that I totally forgot to get a picture!

I drove 6 hours back home on Tuesday and it was so good to finally be back here.

It was an eventful trip and I loved every moment of it. I spent much of yesterday just trying to recuperate. My neck is out and so I spent a lot of time with a heating pad on it. But my heart is full!

Comments

  1. What a super trip Terri, you achieved so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drove 1,300 miles in 6 days so it was definitely busy!

      Delete
  2. So thrilled that you had such a blessed, and fulfilling time - especially seeing old friends and dear family ❤️🙏😊

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live