When Your Anxious Thoughts Threaten to Explode


I have never handled stress particularly well. I find that my emotions get in turmoil and that I struggle with feeling anxious. When something stressful happens and I feel out of control, I really struggle. The more chaotic things are, the more anxious I become. I may appear calm outwardly, but my thoughts are like exploding fireworks; loud and constant and making it unable to focus on much of anything.


As I sat and spent time in prayer this morning, the Lord reminded me of the truth found in the following verse. 

Psalm 46:10 ~

“Be still, and know that I am God!
    I will be honored by every nation.
    I will be honored throughout the world.”

The word be still is from the stem of the Hebrew word, rapha, which means to let go, give up, to release. As I let go of control, I can learn who God is and begin to understand who really is in control. 

When I am frantically trying to control a situation or do it all in my own strength, I am making God small. Yet, when I give up and relinquish control over to the Lord, He becomes larger.  When I open up my hand and turn the issue over to Him, I feel peace wash over me. And when others can see how He is working, He becomes exalted and honored. 

Fireworks are fun when they are up in the sky, but I'm learning to give those fireworks in my head over the Lord. 


I want to honor the Lord with my life. I know that learning to quiet those exploding thoughts and anxieties and allowing Him to work is the best way to do that. This seems to be a life-long lesson that I'm learning and for those of you who struggle the same way... Be still and know that I am God.

Comments

  1. That's where I am now Terri, my life seems to be controlled by anxiety. I'm trying hard to turn it over to the Lord, but its not easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be praying for you, Barbara! It's hard when we are overwhelmed with anxiety about a situation and I know when I'm dealing with it I have to be so intentional about praying and asking the Lord to help me leave it in his hands. (((HUGS))) to you, my friend!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live