You Belong

I've always loved entertaining and even as a young girl I would plan little tea parties for my dolls. I couldn't wait for the day when I would have my own home and be able to have people over.

I remember our tiny two bedroom upstairs apartment when we lived in the inner city and having about 30 people squeezed in there for a Christmas party. It was tight, but it was fun.


We moved here in January 2020 and two months later covid happened. That definitely got me out of the swing of entertaining and I've gotten out of the habit of doing it regularly. When I do I have a great time and think, "Why don't I do this more often. 

I had a group of ladies over last night and we had a wonderful time. We filled out some Christmas cards for our district missionaries. But other than that, there was no program or agenda. Just a time of coffee or cocoa, cookies and chatting. 

I had a few more than I expected, but we made room and it was a good time of fellowship. Probably the best part of the night was entertaining the little one who was there by singing songs to her. 



I'm thankful for a beautiful home to entertain in, but to be honest, the space doesn't matter to me. We've entertained in a tiny apartment, large farmhouse, itty-bitty house, indoors, outdoors and here. Space is nice, but I think what really counts is making people feel welcomed and wanted.


I have had enough conversations with people over the years to realize that there are many people who don't feel like they belong or are lonely. I always want them to feel loved and accepted. 

Sometimes we can waste our time trying to break into tight groups that have no room for one more. It's easy to feel unwanted. But when I shift my focus to looking around and seeing who needs a friend, I start feeling joyful. I am working on making sure that Dan and I are providing a warm and welcoming environment where everyone has a place and everyone belongs. We have done this in every church we have served in.

Because that's what hospitality really is all about. It's not about entertaining and being a good hostess. It's about being warm and inviting and making sure everyone knows they are welcomed and accepted regardless of their background and where they are in their lives. 

I would encourage you to look around you and see who in your life you can encourage and then strive to help them feel like they belong too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live

When Christmas Doesn't Quite Feel Like Christmas