Keeping my Hands Busy



I've been feeling very dissatisfied with myself and the amount of time I spend each evening scrolling on Facebook. I'm busy and I'm productive, but I do waste a ton of time on something that seems to cause more harm than good.

I am a very social person and while I probably won't give it up totally, I have seen the need to dial way back. And like ripping a bandage off a wound, I knew I had to do it quickly.

I stayed off it totally for about 4 days and then did pop on yesterday, read a post that caused me to feel immediately insecure about my own ability in a situation and realized how many times it breeds negative emotions in me.

It reinforced my decision to make some changes in my habits. I am the administrator on three pages on Facebook, but I've found a way to pop on and only look at the pages so I can post what I need to there. This way I don't have to linger on my own personal page. My blog is linked to my Facebook page and I do pop on a couple of times to answer anything that is there. 

But for the most part, I have found the need to temporarily disconnect so I can lose the distractibility it is causing.  One way I've done that is during my prime scrolling time is to do some busy work.

I've started crocheting again which helps in the evenings. I can only do a bit at a time because it bothers my wrist, but it does help. The other way is through sheer willpower. The good outweighs the bad and I see the need to make this change. 

I want to stay connected with people so I'm working on other methods that are more meaningful....phone calls, texting, messaging, email, face to face, and cards. I can still keep in touch and socialize without scrolling through dozens and dozens of posts.

I've been doing more reading in the evenings as well. My husband gave me this book for Christmas and I'm enjoying it.


So I'm keeping my hands busy and working on breaking that addiction!

Comments

  1. Well done Terri. I can't bear Facebook so dont have a problem! It seems to be a lot of people re-sending posts/photos etc, or just being nasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much of it seems to be people just sharing other things. I haven't really had too much of an issue with nastiness but have seen it here or there. For me, it's just a massive time-waster.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live