When Your Hopes and Dreams Come Crashing Down


Yesterday, my husband and I sat through a two hour meeting with our son and a case manager to assess his needs so a life-plan could be put in place for him. In February we went through extensive testing and Nathan was diagnosed as having autism spectrum disorder and significant issues with adaptive functioning. As a result of that official diagnosis he was approved for services through the Office for People with Developmental Disabilities.

Once we got the approval letter at the end of March, signed it and sent it back things have sped up exponentially. I have another meeting later this week to talk to a different case manager. 

All of this is good and necessary to ensure my son will receive the help he needs when we are no longer in the picture. But it's brought a sadness to my heart when I reflect on his life as well as our own life-situation. 

As parents, our goal has always been to see our children thriving and independent. We've taught them to work hard, be productive and be able to manage on their own. And yet, here is our first-born, though high-functioning, who will always need some level of assistance. I guess I always thought if we just pushed him enough he’d figure it all out.  

There is so much happening and it's overwhelming to all three of us. Dan and I are still processing so much of this. The weight of dealing with disability is crushing at times and we've pushed so hard for years to keep him moving forward. And now, knowing that this is his reality, I'm left with an empty feeling. To me it feels as if we've just given up and admitted defeat. Those hopes and dreams we've had for our oldest have to re-adjust.

We will move forward like we always do, but it's been an adjustment and a strange few months. But we will keep taking one step at a time on this new journey, support our son and trust the Lord for the rest. 





Comments

  1. Terri, you and Dan have always been there for Nathan and have been a wonderful source of love and help for him. He is lucky to have you both as his parents as you and Dan are lucky to have him as your son. You have helped him alot through the years and now are getting him prepared for life when you both are not there. As always I will be praying for Nathan and you and Dan.
    God bless, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thoughts and prayers for you all. Kathy's comments above are wise and true. Something which I find really helpful is reminding myself "God loves my children even more than I do" when our family has been going through deep waters. God bless you all, and guide you as you make hard decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You raised a beautiful boy to become a handsome man with a huge heart! Keep your eyes on his heart, for that is all that matters, really. Nathan's heart is precious and kind. Praising God for knitting Nathan perfectly for His Kingdom. Praying for you all with love and respect. You and Dan are a great couple and tremendous parents. I pray there are continuous testimonies of how God uses Nathan in the lives of many! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandson Trenton (Jolyn & Dan's boy) just turned 22. After struggling through his early years, trying to get a diagnosis, he was finally diagnosed as he began high school. The school wasted some months before finally sending him to BOCES, where he learned many hands-on skills and averaged 85. He also received training in heavy equipment like bulldozers, but has not gone in that direction. He started working in a restaurant before he was old enough to get working papers and works there still, goes golfing with workmates, etc. We are VERY proud of him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went through a very similar situation. Your heart breaks for the child for whom life is harder than it is for others. I also learned to have more empathy for parents dealing with atypical children. In the end, though, they find their way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Lord has definitely used this in my life as we minister to people who are going through similar situations! Thank you for sharing!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live