At the End of the Day


I got home last night around 8 p.m. from a program that we are doing at our church. It's a cooking class for women who are struggling financially and trying to make ends meet on very little money. So we are teaching them how to make a meal with few ingredients that will perhaps stretch into another meal. My primary job there is the childcare portion.

As I was reflecting on the day, I realized how much energy I get from being around others. When I'm isolated I tend to feel down and depressed. I actually gain energy and joy when I'm with others. 


It's been a surreal kind of week with the air quality from the wildfires in Canada. There is a smoky haze over everything and I've been wheezing all week. We've been indoors with the windows shut and I am thankful it's been cooler temperatures or it would have been unbearable.


It's been so cool that I actually made a pot of chicken soup and a loaf of whole wheat bread for lunch yesterday. It seems weird to want to eat soup in the middle of June. :-)



I came home from my trip to discover my Rhododendron bush was in full bloom. I love this time of the year when flower buds are bursting open with color.


My herbs are doing well too and I have some drying to preserve and I've also been drying the rosemary in kosher salt so I have rosemary-infused salt to use in cooking.

The plan this morning is to do some canning. One of the reasons I enjoy home preserving is that I can use fresh ingredients, I can control the ingredients I use and they are in jars without the tinny taste you get from canned items in the store.

I have some great northern beans soaking for the purpose of making the baked beans this morning. 


Today is another busy day and I hope to get much accomplished. My goal is to clean the downstairs floors of the church, can the beans, make lunch for us before Nathan goes off to work (I try to make one big meal a day), catch up on some emails, write a few notes and do some sewing.

I'm happy if at the end of the day I can lay my head down, knowing it was productive. It was wonderful being away last week, but I'm thankful I'm back home and in my own bed. 

Comments

  1. Lovely post today, thank you. And the photo of the kitchen at the end of the day was great as well. Hilogene in Az.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilogene! I hadn't planned on taking that last photo, but as I came out of my bedroom before going to sleep I saw the light (which was on for my son) and thought it was a cool picture!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live