Filling in the Trench

I've realized lately that I've dug myself a trench over the past few years. It's a trench of negative thoughts and fixating on what's going wrong in my life. The more I dwell on those things, the deeper that trench grows. Over time, it's become so deep that it's difficult to lift myself up out of it.  

There are days when I'm able to climb out and things seem pretty good, but notice that I keep walking right along the edge, so one bad bit of news and I lose my footing and slide right back down.

This morning during my time with the Lord I was reminded once again of the need to change my thought patterns. 

Psalm 104:33-34 ~

I will sing to the Lord all my life;
    I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.
May my meditation be pleasing to him,
    as I rejoice in the Lord.

I've gotten away from my consistently dwelling on the good things in my life. I have allowed discontent to creep in and my meditation (thoughts) have not been very pleasing to the Lord. They've been the thoughts of a petulant child who constantly whines, "I want it my way!"

I have been working on re-developing some new patterns of thinking and have begun the arduous task of filling in that trench. The women at church started a study this past Sunday called, "Becoming a Woman Whose God is Enough." It is timely. God is enough for me and He is enough for you, but we often go through our lives behaving as if He isn't.

Is He enough when things don't go my way?
Is He enough when I'm dealing with aging parents?
Is He enough when I'm anxious over my children?
Is He enough when the bills are piling up?
Is He enough when I don't get the affirmation I'm looking for?
Is He alone enough?

Yes, He is enough! We often say that with our lips, but our hearts and minds look to fill the need ourselves or we look to others for what only God can fill. The more we focus on anyone or anything other than the Lord, the deeper our trench becomes.

Won't you join me in picking up that shovel and filling in that trench? I want to throw in a shovelful of "how I see God working" whenever I'm tempted to dig up a shovelful of "what's going wrong." I want what my mind dwells on to be pleasing to the Lord. 

Let's build some new muscles today!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live