It's the Little Things

Sometimes it's the little things that bring me joy. I'm not difficult to please and enjoy so many daily blessings.

Sitting on my back patio in the early morning, listening to the birds sing. 

A handful of wild flowers plucked on a walk. They are brightening up my kitchen windowsil.

A gift of dishes from a friend who was getting rid of her stash. She noticed she had the same pattern I did and asked if I would like these.

Teaching my son how to make a simple meal. Nathan relies heavily on me to cook because he gets overwhelmed with having to come up with a plan, buy ingredients and then cook. His go to meal is chicken nuggets and French fries.

So his Care Coordinator came up with a life plan and part of it is learning to cook in order to live independently. And yes, I did teach him as he was growing up, but he just won't do it because of feeling overwhelmed. 

I told him I'd come up with a few very simple meals that are nutritious and yet, easy to make. This was his first cooking lesson last night. 

Dan getting to spend time with Emily. She took him to a baseball game as a belated birthday and early Father's Day present.

 Baked oatmeal in the morning.


Canning jars full - these are baked beans.


Hidden treasure on a walk.

And finally, herbs from my garden.


Leisure
by Douglas Malloch

I thank the Lord that I have time
For things that pay no dividends,
For song and book and sunset gleam
And sweet companionship of friends.
The song may be some simple theme,
The book some poet's dreamy rime
For those who dare to pause and dream
I thank the Lord that I have time.

I thank the Lord that I have time
To stop a moment by the way
To kiss the scented lips of flowers
And hear the voice of songbirds gay.
The lark announces morning hours,
Around my door the roses climb.
And Nature lures me to her bowers -
I thank the Lord that I have time.

I thank the Lord that I have time
To pause beside some other soul
Who falters by my poor abode
Upon the path to greater goal.
If I can help him on his road.
Can aid his weary feet to climb.
If I can ease him of his load,
I thank the Lord that I have time.

I thank the Lord that I have time
For humbler joys and humbler things.
I thank the Lord for lips that smile,
I thank the Lord for heart that sings.
If I in life's uncertain while
With word or song or cheery rime
Can light some pilgrim's dreary mile,
I thank the Lord that I have time.


Comments

  1. Beautiful, Terri. Thanks for sharing. I am going to copy and paste this poem in my Commonplace book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should start doing something like that because I find these poems, love them, and then forget where they are or what they said. lol

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live