Shifting

Each morning I wake up, stumble my way into the kitchen to grab a cup of coffee and then make my way downstairs to my recliner where I spend time with the Lord through reading His word and prayer.

Many mornings, I wake up and immediately feel the crushing weight of cares and concerns, anxiety and worry over different situations, or feeling burdened by an overwhelming list of items that need to be accomplished.

As I settle in my chair and begin to read, I find it difficult to concentrate at first. My mind keeps flickering to all the different thoughts, ideas and worries buzzing around. But then I begin to zero in on what I'm reading. I have to will my eyes and mind to focus. And I have to do this refocusing multiple times before I really begin to concentrate. 

And as I read, there is a shift.

There is a shift in my mind and attitude from feeling discouraged, discontented and depressed to a sense of hopefulness, encouragement, praise and thanksgiving. 

This daily re-shifting in my focus is what allows me to make it through whatever I may face each day. And as you also spend time dwelling in God's word, you can also find that shift. 

I find that the only thing that causes this shift is the truth that God speaks to my mind. The truth that He will make a way when there seems to be no way. The truth that the Lord is watching over my life. The truth that there is an abundance of good for those who trust in the Lord.

Those promises found in His word are the lifeline that I need each day. The shift that occurs in my mind rejuvenates me and gives me energy for the day. The shift allows me to encourage others with that same hope.

Won't you join me in shifting your focus today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live