Punishment or Discipline?


Regret and embarrassment. These were the two emotions I felt as I woke up this morning. Last night, I allowed my emotions to get the best of me in a meeting and I feel like I was too vulnerable and shared things I shouldn't have shared. 

My husband and I have been in a hard place the past few years and struggling to figure out our ministry here. And there are days when I don't like it. AT ALL! Add loss and loneliness and anxiety to the mix and I sometimes slip into the false idea that we are being punished or forgotten.

But as I read Hebrews 12-13 this morning the above verse caught my attention. I often read that word, discipline, as punishment. When I'm walking down a hard road it can easily feel as if I'm somehow being punished by the Lord. But that's not the case at all. I know this cognitively, but it certainly is easy to slip into listening to my feelings.

God isn't a hard taskmaster who delights in bringing difficulties. He isn't intent on causing pain. But He does allow and use those hard things to discipline or train us. He uses them to shape and mold us into the men and women He sees. He sees our potential and if we allow Him to work through those difficulties, He will help us to grow and mature. 

My embarrassment, regret and emotions will pass. I will move on in what God has called me to do. But more importantly, this is one more situation that God is using in my life to stretch me and mold me into a woman that can be used by Him. I'm not being punished. I'm being disciplined and trained in how to walk in righteousness. 

And it's a sign that I am His daughter and He loves me enough not to allow me to stay stuck. He does that for all of us. We are His children and He is training, correcting, at times, rebuking and guiding us. He does it because He knows that in order to grow into maturity discipline must happen. And yes, I mess up and blow it quite often. But instead of harshly punishing me, God picks me up, brushes me off and keeps me moving forward.

Be encouraged today as you walk down those hard paths in your life. God loves you and is using those hard things to help you grow up into maturity. Just as we want what is best for our children, the Lord wants so much more for each and every one of us. 

Comments

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live