A Summer of Growth


While it's technically not the end of summer, it certainly feels that way. Our vacation times are over, my husband starts teaching a class at the local community college on Monday and I'm gearing up for fall programs and events at church and in our district. The nature of ministry is that by August you are already thinking about autumn. The weather yesterday was actually chilly and dreary which also had a fall feel.

I'm not complaining because autumn is my favorite season and I still have a few weeks left to enjoy summer activities. This summer was full of hiking, adventures, changes and learning to relax a bit. It has been a time of creating new habits and new ways of doing things. 

It certainly has NOT been a time of my flower and herb garden growing. The deer came through and mowed down my hostas and my petunias. My flowers are looking pitiful as well and my herbs look mostly like weeds. 

So while my garden didn't grow, the summer has been a time of personal growth. God has been reaching down into those closed off and hidden spaces in my heart and bringing them out into the light of day. I don't like what I see because it's ugly and unpleasant. I would like to keep them tucked down into the dark because revealing them and working through them is painful. 

Yet, God is faithful and promises to meet me in my brokenness. He reveals those hidden hurts and sinful attitudes and heals them. When I allow Him to work, even in the pain, He can turn it into something beautiful that creates growth in me.

I've had to rely on Him for provision in almost every area of my life. The amazing thing is that as I'm learning to do that there is a peace that has settled over me. We've seen God show up in some amazing ways this summer. Remembering His faithfulness over the years and trusting that He will keep providing relieves much of the anxiety over things. 

As we move into September and the fall activities I want to continue to grow and continue to rely upon the Lord. Growth happens in increments and sometimes it seems as if certain areas will never change. Yet, when I look back over a period of time, I can see that growth has happened. It's slow and tedious. 

As I allow the Lord to work on me, growth happens. And that is a beautiful thing. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live