Thanksgiving Preparations with a bit of a Twist



I've been thinking about Thanksgiving and working on a plan that includes my new way of eating. As I was putting the menu together tonight and seeing what things I could tweak or add, I realized something. I told Dan that I don't want to stuff myself with food, even the foods I can have. 

So my menu will include what my family would like, but a couple of things I can have such as the sweet potato, salad and squash.  I'm not feeling the need to eat anymore than I do on a regular day.  I will make myself a treat that I normally don't have, but one that is plant-based. Over the past weekend I made some things for church, but then also did some pre-Thanksgiving prepping. 

I had leftover cookies from a children's event on Saturday so I put those in the freezer to pull out. While I was baking a pie for church today, I made my crusts for Thanksgiving pies and put those in the freezer to pull out on Tuesday so they are ready when I make the pies. Then I made three loaves of bread and two of those are in the freezer as well. 

My Thanksgiving menu looks almost the same as it always does, but I did change a few things to incorporate the plant-based, whole foods. I'll have a bit of the turkey and then the things I can eat that don't include all the sugary, fat-laden processed items.

Thanksgiving Menu

Turkey & Dressing

Mashed potatoes with gravy

Sweet potato & Apple Bake

Green Bean Casserole 

Corn Casserole

Harvest Salad (Kale, Spinach, Apples, Cranberries, Pumpkin Seeds)

Challah Bread

Homemade Cranberry Orange Relish

 

Desserts:

Pumpkin Pie

Apple Pie

Coconut Custard Pie

Blueberry Cheesecake

Sugar Cookies


I've got on the scale this morning and have lost 47 lbs. and I want to continue to make forward progress. I feel energetic and so much better. 

The holidays are a bit of a hurdle because so many memories are tied to eating and mostly eating the wrong things. However, I want to be able to enjoy the day by focusing on what really matters. As a friend said today, "It's not about the food, but about the people." I'm planning a couple of fun family activities that are different and hopefully will become new traditions.

I hope you all have a happy Thanksgiving!

Comments

  1. Wow, Terri, you have lost a lot of weight. So nice that you have found a way of eating that is right for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live