In the Home Stretch






I've been busy this week with zoom meetings and preparing a message for Sunday. I also have been busy getting my Christmas shopping done and baking Christmas cookies. Those of you who know me, know I usually spend the entire month making cookies. I use them for events, parties and gifts. But this year, I didn't bake one until this week. That is mostly because in years past, I struggled with not eating them. I figured it would be best to not have them sitting around.

But it also hasn't felt much like Christmas this year. Some of that is not doing the normal traditions and activities. The other thing is my daughter will not be here this year as she is going to her fiancé's family for the holiday and our son, Stephen, won't be arriving until the afternoon on Christmas day as he has to work. It has been hard to get in the Christmasy mood when it is going to seem like a normal day.

However, I know life happens as children become adults and have lives of their own so I'm making the best of it. And I will still get to celebrate with them, just in a different way.

I am scaling way back on the amount and types of cookies. Usually I have about 12-14 different kinds, made in double batches. This year I've only made one batch of each kind and will hold at about 6 different kinds. These will be headed out the door in the next few days too as I don't need temptation staring me in the face. 

I've made spritz, pepparkakor, bizcochitos, and cranberry-white chocolate oatmeal cookies. There is dough for cocoa snowflakes in the refrigerator. The plan today is to bake those and maybe make one other kind. 

The thing that has helped me not to eat them is to make sure I bake after I've had lunch. This way I'm not resisting while hungry. 

Now I just need to get motivated and send out my Christmas cards. I haven't sent one card yet this year and am running out of time! We are in the home stretch and I need to get those last minute things done.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Comments

  1. With you in this Teri - lots of tasks usually done by now are still on the to-do list. As the family grows up, it feels strange not to have both our girls with us on 25th. But our eldest and family WILL be here after all, then iff to the other grandparents - and new years weekend BOTH girls and men, and grandchildren will be here. I hope the food issue does not cloud your Christmas - thinking of you & praying for you in this. Thank you again for the advent readings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a mental adjustment. Emily & Ryan will be here on the 28th to celebrate so I'm looking forward to that. I've been okay with the cookies around and that's probably because I've been doing this for quite a few months so it's habit. But I am glad that I'm getting them out of the house quickly. lol

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live