"One Bite Won't Kill You"

 

As many of you know I've been on this weight loss journey since July. I've lost 51 lbs. so far and can see a noticeable difference in my appearance. I've hit a weight that I haven't seen since before I had my second child back in 1993. I have about 25 lbs. to go but am losing at a steady 1-2 lbs. per week.

When I started out I realized that I couldn't view this as a diet which I could stop once I lost the weight, but had to actually make a life-long change in eating. The more I've studied and listened to podcasts and looked at my life, the more I realize that I truly have an addiction to sugar and processed foods. Once I start eating all the wrong things, I have a hard time stopping. There is no eating one bite and stopping.

And yet, this is what people keep saying to me. "One bite won't hurt you." "It's the holidays." "You can cheat on the holiday." I've discovered very quickly that I cannot.

Processed foods and sugar are designed to flood the bloodstream immediately which increases dopamine in the brain. So over time, your brain is constantly looking for that dopamine spike. And the food companies know that and put flavor enhancers and add sugar to many things to keep you coming back for more. Once you stop the sugar and processed foods, those dopamine centers in your brain settle down and no longer look for that surge. 

This past Thanksgiving I allowed myself one piece of apple pie and a bit of dressing (about 1/2 cup). I thought, "I've been doing this since July so it won't hurt to have a small bit." However, after eating that I found it took about a week or so before I stopped having cravings for all the things I don't want to eat. It was such an eye-opening experience.

Not everyone struggles with food addictions so for some this really isn't a problem. I, however, do have this issue. So I'm just realizing that it's all or nothing for me. In my case, one bite will cause a big problem as it will restart the cycle of overeating and binge-eating. 

I am working hard at changing my relationship with food. It's a bit embarrassing to even admit this here but I always want to be transparent in order to help others who struggle with the same things.

I am off my blood pressure medicine. I have so much more energy. I am no longer wheezing all of the time. My husband tells me I'm no longer snoring. I don't have tingling in my fingers anymore. I taking charge of my health and am so thankful that the Lord is helping me to stay committed to this. 

Do not listen to those who say, "One bite won't kill you." For those who don't struggle with this then you are correct. But if you are one of the many who struggle with food addictions it indeed can be your downfall.

Comments

  1. Bless you for your honesty. Having watched someone I'm close to battle with an eating disorder, I know how hard it can be to cope with comments made in ignorance. God gave you grace and strength through this season of feasting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We could be the same person, LOL. I had a very low-carb Thanksgiving, then indulged ("only" 1/2 cup banana pudding & some crackers) at a family party the next day. I am still paying for those small tastes! I am battling VERY strong cravings for carbs & sugar that are hard to overcome! That "one bite won't kill you" can have strong repercussions for some of us. I am also down 51 lbs (used to be 55; that's how hard the cravings have resurfaced) but am determined to get back on track. Good luck to both of us; we learned a lesson and will come out better for it!

    Bless you for your blog and daily words of inspiration! I don't always comment but I take great solace in many of your posts. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Sue. It is definitely a challenge this time of the year! It was amazing how much that one piece of pie triggered those sweet receptors in my brain.

      Delete
    2. And congratulations on your weight loss, Sue!

      Delete
  3. 'Just one square of chocolate'? No more. I found it was becoming just two, three squares, so have stopped any chocolate now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what happens. It's so easy to just keep adding more and more sweets and processed items once you start.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live