The Hush in the Between Spaces


My life seems to be made up of an onslaught of  clamorous activity. No sooner is one event or activity complete another pops up to take its place. Some of that is just the nature of being in full-time ministry and some of it is my personality. And unless I'm willing to drop all my ministry activity and change my entire personality that may always be the way things are in my life. 

I also understand the need for stillness and that the Lord speaks in silence. So I do work on intentionally carving out some time to sit in quietness, tune out the noise and listen to what the Lord has to say.

Those times happen each morning as I make my way to my favorite spot and sit with my coffee and my Bible and read and pray. It takes a while for my brain to stop thinking about what I need to do and instead, focus on what God wants to say.


When time allows, I make sure to take time and get out in nature and hike. As I walk, take pictures, think and pray, I hear the Lord speaking to me. In the wide open spaces I'm still enough to listen.


In the natural down times in my schedule I stop to hear the still small voice of the Lord. This week between Christmas and New Year Day is a quiet one and I'm spending some extended time in God's word trying to figure out a direction for the year. I do this each year and I find the time of reflection to be therapeutic. 

I've posted and scrolled less on social media this week because I find it almost impossible for the Lord to speak to my heart when I'm hearing hundreds of chattering voices.

In the hush between the busy spaces of my life God reveals His purpose for me. When I tune out the babble - both internally and externally - I'm able to hear better. 

I'm asking myself the following questions this week:

  • How did I do in 2023 with sticking with the goals I had?
  • Did I follow the Lord's leading this past year?
  • Where does He want me to go in 2024? 
  • What do I need to change in order to follow where He is leading?
  • What am I clinging to that I need to let go in order to move forward?

My greatest desire has always been to be an instrument in the Lord's hands to minister for Him. Sometimes I feel like a bit of a square peg in a round hole. But I'm learning that's okay. God does speak to me regularly in that hush in the between spaces and that is enough for me.

It's in the between spaces that I'm able to commune with Him and that's what gets me through the busyness of my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live