When Christmas Doesn't Quite Feel Like Christmas

About a week ago I felt myself feeling down. Things are so different nowadays and the parts of Christmas I've always looked forward to weren't going to be happening. It's definitely been an adjustment as the kids have become adults. Yesterday was seeming a bit of "Christmas feels just like another day."

However, I didn't want to sit around and wallow in sadness nor waste time wishing things were the same. So I decided to start seeing ways I could just enjoy the day. It irritates me a bit when people can't change or be flexible and make room for new things, so I certainly don't want to start to become that way myself. 

So I decided to enjoy some of the things I've always done that make Christmas special and then embrace the new. I also stayed off social media as much as possible yesterday because that never helps me feel satisfied with my own reality.

I made up cookie boxes and delivered them to the neighbors a few days before Christmas.

I made 24 mini-loaves of pumpkin bread and delivered them to families who were in attendance on Sunday morning. I ended up being 2 short so I owe them one!


I participated in our church's Christmas play. I haven't been in a play since I was a teenager so it was a lot of fun. I played the part of the "camel." It was an original play by a playwright in our church and was called "Manger Talk."


I got little gifts for the children at church. I am thankful I had a few extra "just in case" as we had a few visitors.

On Christmas Eve, before our evening candlelight service, I made some of our traditional foods, including this pull apart bread that was stuffed with cheese and chorizo sausage. And no, I didn't have this. lol

The weather was fantastic on Christmas Day which is unheard of for this time of the year. The sun was out, it was warm and a beautiful day.

Dan and I went for a walk after breakfast then we came back and we opened up gifts with the boys (Emily and Ryan will be here next week to do the same).

I experimented with a sugar-free, fat-free dessert which turned out great! When I started eating plant-based, whole foods I wanted to develop some great tasting recipes. This apple-cranberry tart is a keeper though I'm going to continue to tweak it. The sweetener is medjool dates and date syrup.


Then I decided to get out and go for another walk at the local Audubon center since it was so beautiful. 






Last night we had our Christmas dinner. I made a mushroom and kale stuffed pork loin, mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli, roasted beets and dinner rolls. 

When I sat and reflected a bit last night, even though it was a different kind of day than it has been in years past, it was still very enjoyable. I think the thing that made it enjoyable was adjusting my attitude to embrace the new. The reality is that we did get to do some of the things we always do and we were able to talk to our daughter via FaceTime. I texted extended family to wish them a Merry Christmas. But we were also able to do some new and different things which I'd love to continue. 

I just took the pressure off to have everything seem perfect. Because the reality is no one has a picture-perfect life. ;-)

Comments

  1. I totally understand that feeling of ennui around Christmas. This year I made a lots of loaves of persimmon bread (we have a tree) and gave them to neighbors and coworkers. I also made Christmas happen for a single mom and her 6 kids. That brought back some of the magic. BTW you look great and make a great camel! :-)🐪

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed out loud on the camel comment! I think when we focus on others it's what really helps. Persimmon bread sounds wonderful! Merry Christmas, Coleen!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live