Out with the Old; In with the New


As I was thinking and praying about my goals for the new year, I knew that I needed to release some things in order to focus on the direction I felt God leading me. 

One of those things I wanted to let go of was my sewing business. Letting go is difficult for so many of us. And if an activity or habit has been part of our life for a long time it is hard to put it down and leave it there.

However, my weight-loss journey has helped me in more ways than I realized. It has helped me to see that I do have the ability to be highly disciplined. So I am attempting to apply that discipline to this other area of my life. 

Yesterday, I spent the afternoon cleaning, organizing and purging my sewing room. It was a mess because I've been so busy and it has become the dumping ground for just about everything. I dusted, vacuumed and wiped down all surfaces. I purged all kinds of things and made a pile for the thrift shop and a pile that needed to be tossed into the trash.

God is very kind to me because each time I think, "Perhaps I am making a mistake," He sends a little reminder that I heard Him clearly. 

The other day I received an email from a woman who attended a retreat where I was the speaker and told me she went through my Advent book this year and how much it helped her. Yesterday when I was having difficulty letting go of things, I received an email from an event organizer, asking me to have my books for sale at it. As I was organizing yesterday, I opened up a blank journal I had been gifted two years ago. I haven't used it yet and as I was looking in it, realized that I never noticed there was a note on the first page from the person I received it from. She wrote how much she enjoys my books and writings and how they have helped her. 

These little encouragements are keeping me disciplined and resolved to follow the Lord's leading for my life. "Out with the old" for me means letting go of the activities and distractions I cling to in order to embrace the "bring in the new" direction that God has for me.

This afternoon I plan on finishing up the sewing room so I can turn it into an office where I'll have a designated space to write.  I still have my sewing supplies and will sew for pleasure or gifts from time to time. But I'm placing most of my time and attention on writing. I'm looking forward to this new direction and connecting to the Lord in this way. 

Following where He leads is always a good thing and will always bring His blessing. 

Comments

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live