Living with Joy


I'd love to say that I'm a joyful person, but the reality is I often walk around feeling as if I'm under a cloud. But I've been working hard the past few years to change my attitude. I want to learn to be joyful no matter what my circumstances are at the moment.

And I know joyfulness isn't some happy state where I walk around with a smile plastered to my face and pretending all is right with the world. I think the type of joyfulness that the Bible is talking about has more to do with contentment and trust that God is walking with me no matter what I struggle with on a daily basis.

This morning as I was reading and praying, I kept coming across the word "joy." 

Psalm 86:4 ~ Bring joy to your servant's life because I appeal to you, Lord.

Psalm 87:7 ~ Singers and dancers alike will say, "My whole source of joy is in you."

Psalm 89:9 ~ North and south—you created them. Tabor and Hermon shout for joy at your name.

Psalm 89:15-16 ~ Happy are the people who know the joyful shout; Lord, they walk in the light from your face. They rejoice in your name all day long, and they are exalted by your righteousness.

Just from these few verses we can see that the joy we experience is not from our circumstances are our possessions or from everything going right in our life. Joy is based on our being grounded in the Lord, seeking Him, recognizing that He is with us and resting in Him as the source of our joy.

When I keep dwelling on what's not going right in my life I can very easily slip down the rabbit hole of depression, anxiety and frustration. When I keep my eyes fixed on the Lord, then I can have the sense of peace and contentment despite what's going on around me.

I'm definitely a work in progress and want to do better at being filled with the certainty that God is in control of all things. Because when I have that certainty nothing can shake me.

Monday is always a day when I give thanks for the ways I've seen God working in my life over the past week and I'm very thankful today for the following things.

💓 I'm thankful that a family member is getting some much needed help.

💓 I'm thankful for my husband. 


💓 I'm thankful we had such a beautiful past couple of weeks with no snow so I could get out and do what I love best!

💓 I'm thankful for flowers in the winter that bring me happiness.


💓 I'm thankful for a beautiful group of ladies at church who regularly wrestle with God's word and encourage one another.

💓 Dan took our son, Nathan, to urgent care last night since he has been sick for a few days and ended up with 102 fever. It turns out he has the flu. I'm feeling a bit stuffy this morning and I'm praying that's all I experience. But I'm also thankful for a lighter week "just in case" and I'm avoiding people as much as possible.

💓  We had a women's Valentine luncheon yesterday after church and I'm thankful for the wonderful time everyone had. I enjoy doing these from time to time.


💓 God has given me some more clarity this week and I'm thankful for that.

💓  I'm thankful for the privilege of being able to pray for friends and family.

and finally...

💓 I am thankful that the joy of the Lord is my strength.

Yes, the snow is back!

Comments

  1. I’m thankful to The Lord for you and your continual testimony and transparency that has encouraged me greatly! I appreciate your joyful and prayerful start to the week! Blessings Terri🙏🏾💝

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry forgot to send my name🙃…Sandy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live