When Connecting isn't the Way you Envisioned


In 2024 I wanted to connect more. I wanted to connect to God, to others and to the purpose the Lord has for my life. I've been very intentional about it this year and so far it's been going well, but it hasn't been quite the way I envisioned it. 

As I bent over the toilet to clean it at my in-law's house, the thought occurred to me that this wasn't what I meant when I came up with the word, "connected". I envisioned going out for coffee with friends, inviting people to the house and being more intentional in relationships.

Scrubbing toilets, making multiple trips which are a two hour round trip drive and spending time listening to the same stories over and over were not quite what I meant when I told the Lord I wanted to be present in others' lives. 


But God reminds me that connecting isn't just about doing the fun things in life. Sometimes when you are being intentional in relationships it may not look glamorous. It may be in quiet ways. Sometimes the connecting takes place by showing others with your actions how much you love them. And at times, it's about loving others even when they are being unpleasant. 

The Lord also reminds me that my number one connection point was with Him. This year I wanted to stay intentional in being connected to the vine. As I stay rooted in Him, He gives me the ability to love through those difficult times and relationships. 

I have been able to connect with Him and with others in the ways I envisioned. It's just some of what I expected hasn't been able to happen yet. 

I've connected to the Lord through my time with Him, reading and praying. I've connected to Him through my times of being out in nature and in painting (a new hobby that I've never tried before).


I've connected to family and friends through times of celebration, listening to my adult children instead of giving advice, going out for coffee with friends, sending cards on a weekly basis, and giving gifts. 



I've connected with my husband through getting out and walking together, praying together, and talking together. 


And I've connected to the purpose and ministry that the Lord has for me by staying open to where He is leading. So far in 2024 that has looked very different than I expected and for this month and season it's in serving family who is struggling.

I envisioned writing and speaking and it's turned into cooking and scrubbing toilets. But despite the unglamorous nature of it, I'm actually feeling content and joyful that I can do this.



And I realize that I'm only six weeks into 2024, and though January 1st feels like a life-time ago, I still have a lot of year to get through and many more opportunities to connect on a daily basis. 





 

Comments

  1. What a lovely thoughtful post ,Terri. You do connect through this blogging world also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is true! I didn't think of that one.

      Delete
  2. When we retired, we prayed that God would show us ways to serve Him in our community. Bob has three "formal" volunteer roles - a village council member, Hospice chaplaincy, the Men's Shed co-ordinator. I don't anything regular, or glamorous - but informally supporting neighbours in random ways has become a large part of my life. Like you and the toilet, I was reminded of this as I scrubbed a neighbour's carpet when the dog I was caring for ate grass and was very sick! "OK Lord, I'm on my knees, who should I be praying for as I do this?"! God is using you Terri (& me) in ways we didn't expect, but ultimately we trust it will be for his glory. ❤️👍🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have had the same thought of while I'm on my knees, who should I pray for today? Until we draw our last breath I don't think God is ever done with us even though it may look very different as we get older.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live