What is Your Purpose?


I've spent a large chunk of of my life trying to figure out what purpose I was supposed to serve. Was it writing to encourage others? Was it speaking to do the same? Was it to continue in my role in our district? Was it church ministry? Or was I just supposed to be a good wife and a support to our children? 

What is the overarching purpose in my life?

And often, when I went down that path of introspection I would start to feel that no matter what I chose it was the wrong decision.  At times I thought that perhaps I misunderstood what God had said to me so I would change my mind about a decision I had made. It is exhausting going through life feeling as if I somehow missed the mark God had for me. I would end up second-guessing each decision and feeling as if I made a mistake and wasted my life.

I have discovered that being on that merry-go-round is pointless and serves no good purpose. I've learned, and to be honest, am still learning, to have a shift of perspective. 

Whatever I set out to do in my life, regardless of what it is, and no matter how seemingly small or large, is not wasted in God's kingdom. 

If I love my family well, it brings Him glory. 

If I show a kindness to a neighbor or stranger, it brings Him glory.

If I write a book that's read by a handful of people or thousands of people, it brings Him glory.

If I speak to a tiny audience or a crowd of multitudes, it all brings Him glory.

It brings God glory because I am doing my best and my motive in doing it is to serve Him well. It brings Him glory because I am operating within the spiritual gifts He has given me. He is glorified because I am enjoying the life He has given me and desire to honor Him with it. 

When my motivation is to serve God, serve others and find joy in my every day activities, it points people to Him. And that is the purpose every Christ-follower should have. 

Love God. Love people. Serve well. Give Him the glory.

When you can do that it doesn't matter how that's accomplished - from small insignificant acts to huge inspirational feats. An abundant and overflowing life comes from living each day loving God and loving others so that He gets the glory. The how it's done (activities) doesn't matter as much as knowing why you are doing it (motive).

That is God's plan and purpose for us all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live