Becoming Less about Self in a World of Self-promotion and Selfies










I'm working on a message I'm giving a district church this coming Sunday and I'm looking at the passage found in John 17 where Jesus prays for Himself, his disciples and those to follow. The primary thing He prays for is His glory to be revealed in His disciples. The reason for this is that He is leaving them and they will carry forward his glory (in the Greek the word, glory, means reputation which results in honor and praise). That reputation will either carry on or stop with how the disciples move forward.

We live in a world of self-promotion, ambition and selfies and it's so easy to slide down into promoting ourselves and our own reputations instead of shining the glory of Jesus to those we meet. 

I find it so easy to do that myself and this year has been one of constant evaluating and re-evaluating the way I live my life. I want to shine Jesus to all I meet. I want to get out of the way so His reputation shines bright. 

That means saying "no" to myself and my selfish desires on a regular basis. It means looking at my motives. Sometimes it means I have to stay quiet and other times it may mean speaking up. I want my life to be about following the Lord and making Him known, not making Terri Groh known.

I love getting out in nature and walking and taking photos because it keeps me grounded. It's a reminder at how small I really am compared to the Lord. And it's a time to worship the One who made all I see. 

I pray, I think and meditate, and at times I sing. But more importantly, it's a time to connect and commune with the Lord and to listen to what He is saying to me.

I want my life to be less about self and more of service. And that's where my true purpose and fulfillment will be found.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live

When Christmas Doesn't Quite Feel Like Christmas