Three Principles


My head is spinning a bit today after a roller coaster ride of emotions the past few days. My uncle passed away from cancer which triggered memories of my mother's own passing. My heart goes out to his daughters and granddaughter. Multiple friends seem to be getting hit from all sides too. It seems as if every email or text message I opened was another hard situation.

Circumstances, emotions, and busyness all threaten to derail me at times, but when I am tempted to complain, whine, lament or give in to fear, I am reminded of these three principles taken out of Romans 12.  They help me to keep an even keel no matter what I'm facing.

Romans 12:12 (HCSB) ~

Rejoice in hope; be patient in affliction; be persistent in prayer.

Rejoice in hope - When I feel hopeful, the fear calms.  I feel upbeat and positive and thankful.  I give thanks to God for the hope I have.  It's that spark that keeps me going and I am very grateful that for the most part I can see God's hand on different situations in my life.  Hope is the reason I get up each morning and can face a new day.  That spark of hopefulness causes me to rejoice!

Patient in affliction - When times are rough, I try to have patience in the midst of it.  I remind myself of the ways God has worked in the past and believe that He will work in the future.  I ask for wisdom in the situation.  I look for the lesson in the pain.  I try not to say, "Why me?" but, "What is the lesson I can learn from this?"  I may have an initial gut reaction of anxiety, but I am attempting to learn not to complain. I try not to whine, not worry myself sick and not throw myself down and have a proverbial temper tantrum. Patience means I quietly and calmly going about my business, and trust the Lord.

Persistent in prayer - No matter if things are on an upswing or a downswing, I spend time in pray.  Prayer is the one thing that we are taught over and over again in God's word.  Pray without ceasing.  So I go to the Lord when things are good, but also when things are going poorly. Prayer is our reminder of our dependence upon God. I've been convicted lately that my prayer life needs to be consistent and persistent. 

It may have been a rollercoaster of a week as far as different situations, but I'm working to remember these three things.  

Life is hard and we often make it even more difficult by our worry and anxiety. However, if we can remember and apply these three key principles it will help to cause our internal state to become much more peaceful. 

And God is good and is with us right beside us no matter what we face. He will see us through, hold us up in the hard times and rejoice with us in the good. We can trust Him for each and every thing we experience in this life. 

Comments

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live

When Christmas Doesn't Quite Feel Like Christmas