Staying on the Vine


This past year I've been focusing on staying connected - connected to the Lord, connected to others and connected to the purpose God has for me. Despite my normal tendency to get distracted and hop down bunny trails, I've worked really hard at staying focused on what I set out to do. 

One of the things on my list of specific ways to go about doing this was to take a personal retreat to study, pray and write on a monthly or at least every other month basis. That hasn't happened as much, but I was able to carve out some time for that this weekend.

I had a speaking engagement at a church yesterday morning so went a day early and spent the night in a hotel for this very purpose. I find there is something about being out of my normal environment that helps me to zero in on hearing from the Lord. When I'm home I can find a million things to do that keeps me distracted.

I arrived around 3:30 p.m., checked in, and then found a local hiking trail. Walking in nature is one way I connect to God and this also allowed me to get some exercise after being cooped up in the car for hours.



I came back, picked up some dinner (there was a grocery store conveniently next door) and then ate and dug in, and I'm so thankful I did. I gained some new insights, heard from the Lord and enjoyed my time away.


I headed out yesterday morning to the church I was speaking at, gave the morning message and then drove the 4 1/2 hours home yesterday afternoon. I even managed to get out and walk with Dan when I got home since I had been sitting all day. 

I don't mind driving because even that time in the car gives me time to reflect and pray. At times, I'll listen to a podcast that gives me food for thought.

I am thankful I took that bit of time to disconnect this weekend. I have back to back retreats that I'm organizing the last weekend in September (Friday-Sat. and then Sat. evening-Sunday) and I'm also the main speaker at a retreat the first weekend in October. I have much to do between now and then to prepare for these. As I prayed this weekend, I was able to get a direction for these events so I'm thankful. 

My heart is full this morning and I'm ready to get a move on my day, but I wanted to give thanks for the many ways the Lord is working in me as I stay connected to Him. And He has also opened many doors this year to connect to others, as well as the purpose He has for me. 

I will share that in another post, but on this Monday, I am thankful for His many blessings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live

When Christmas Doesn't Quite Feel Like Christmas