Monday, April 21, 2008

Hospitality




I went to my friend Stephanie's house tonight to craft with her for an hour or so and being there reminded me of why hospitality is so important.

I love going to her house. Whenever I go, she always makes me feel special. She had candles lit around the house. She made tea and served it in pretty tea cups. She had gorgeous napkins laid out. She didn't spend hours in the kitchen either to do this. She served oreos but had them on a pretty little plate.

The best part is that I can take off my shoes and curl up on one of her chairs and just be myself. We talk about all sorts of things and I always come away with a sense of contentment and peace.

It is so easy to fall into the trap of having to "entertain" people. How often have I run around trying to make the perfect meal? I've often spent hours cleaning the house from top to bottom and generally making my family miserable in the process. There have been so many times that I feel I have to get up and down and do something when we do have company. Yet most guests just want to spend time with me and feel like they have my undivided attention.

Hospitality is about making people feel comfortable and letting them feel like spending time with them is the most important thing you have to do at that moment. No one likes to feel like they are an inconvenience or they made a lot of work for someone.

Stephanie has really mastered this. I'm working on it and I'm learning that I don't have to serve the fanciest meal or have the cleanest house in order to be a good hostess.