Chance Meeting?

I often wonder if things are chance happenings or divine appointments. I don't necessarily think that every single encounter is from the Lord but I do believe that every now and then he puts us in the right place at the right time to help someone out.

Last night, we were up much later than normal. We are usually in the back of the house, in our room reading and are asleep by 9:30-9:45. Well, last night we were up watching a movie when someone knocked on our door at 10:15. It was a little scary given the fact that we are the only house on the street and it was late!

Dan opened the door and on our doorstep were two college age girls from England. Of course, I immediately thought of some of the ladies that read my blog. Turns out they worked at a camp about 30 minutes from here in Connecticut and were in New York City for the day. They were supposed to get off at the train stop prior to our town which is about 10 miles away. However, they missed the stop and their ride back to camp. They didn't have any change for the pay phone, their cell phones were not charged, and they didn't know what to do.

They came to the only house they could see with a light on. After feeling that they were harmless we let them in to use the phone and tried to call a taxi service (which was closed). Of course, they didn't have any numbers on them because they were just working in this country for the summer but they did finally manage to get in touch with the person who was supposed to pick them up. We offered to drive them back to the train stop they missed and their ride picked them up there.

I kept thinking that it was a blessing that they chose our house, that we had happened to move here when we did, and that we had been up. I thought, what if that had been my daughter? There are some shady characters who live not far from here and what if they had rang their doorbell? I shudder to think what could have happened to these two girls. They told us that if they couldn't get a hold of anyone they were going to walk down the tracks back to their station - 10 miles, in the dark, with all kinds of wild animals (bears, coyotes, mountain lions) around!!!

Anyway, I'm glad that we were able to help them out and I do think that the Lord put them and us in the right place at the right time!

Comments

  1. I don't think it was a chance meeting at all! Isn't God good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you on behalf of English girls. What a different end their story could have had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think God uses circumstances just like this to help his children in need. Remember that time when we got lost in the woods and after walking around for 2-3 hours, and my praying to God to help me find our way out, He used Halley to go out and chop wood which he never did so his mother told me and I followed the sound right into their backyard. I felt God used Halley in that circumstance.

    Your night time visitors were probably guided right to your doorstep the same way. Doesn't it feel good to know that you were in the right place at the right time and were able to be used of God?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww...what a sweet story. Considering the topic of answering the door to strangers on the CHF I guess it is a good thing you did open your door to them. I am sure they were very grateful.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely agree with you all that the Lord used us in their lives. I'm thankful that we were able to do this.

    Pam, welcome! I'm glad you found your way over here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i most definitely believe in devine appointments thank the Lord your house was the one those girls came to. its pretty cool God knew he could trust you to lend a helping hand!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Terri, thank the Lord that He placed ya'll where He did when He did. It is so amazing that you were there for those two girls in their time of need. I think all of us as parents felt some relief with that, just the fact that God has people in position in our children's times of need, times that we are not able to be there.

    Also, I'm reminded of the scripture that says that we sometimes entertain angels unaware. What an amazing story Terri, thank you so much for sharing it!

    Love,
    April :0)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live