A Different Persepective















Riding in a car for 8 1/2 hours certainly gives you time to think and pray about things. Every now and then I have one of these blinding revelations that can only be from the Lord. I'm not that smart to come up with them myself! ;-)

As a mother, my heart has been so hurt and anxious about Nathan. My oldest struggles with many things - severe learning disabilities, tourette's syndrome, kidney problems, allergies, and speech issues to just name a few. He is 17 years old and in the 10th grade but his reading and math levels are about 5th grade and his writing skills even lower. I've been so worried about his future. Where will he work? How will we get him the manual skills he needs to make it in this world? Dh is a wonderful pastor but he just doesn't have the manual labor skills that would be needed to teach Nathan a trade.

However, as we were riding back from PA, a thought struck me. I need a different perspective. The Lord has allowed so much in this one child's life. Why? What purpose would there be for this? I think that Dan & I both have lowered our expectations. We have put God in a box. We've lost the perspective that the God of the universe knew exactly what He was doing when He created Nathan. We've lost focus of all the positive things that make Nathan who he is. Nathan is: compassionate, a hard worker, tenacious, resourceful, and he loves the Lord. He struggles with so many things yet he has a wonderful grasp of the scripture and how to apply it to any situation.

One assignment that I've given Nathan to do this year is to write his testimony (with my help) of how God is working in his life. Then I want him to share it in church and at least 2 other places. I think that if he can get comfortable with speaking in front of people, he has a wonderful testimony to share! He shared a bit of what the Lord is doing in his life on the January 8th post of this blog.

So, this is my different perspective. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Lord will work.

Comments

  1. What a great perspective!! :)

    I just caught up on the posts since you've been home...looks like a wonderful time :) I'm so glad you enjoyed it...but sure am glad you're home now too! We missed you!!

    Love,
    Laura in VA

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing a great job with your son! I know he will be just fine with a mother like you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's awesome revelation Terri! God indeed does have great plans for our children, and I tend to put God in a box too, when his potential for each person can be so far beyond our imagination. You're such a fantastic mom and I have no doubt that God will use him in a big way!

    Love you!
    Aprille :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm extremely happy to see you write this Terri because I believe that God has a special purpose for Nathan and He is such a warm hearted boy.

    I loved it when we were playing cards up there with you as a family and Nathan was trying so hard to win. I just know God is going to Bless Him real good one of these days and we will all be surprised at what he (Nathan) will be able to do with his life.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that is a great perspective, Terri, and I look forward to seeing what God is doing in your's and Nathan's life!

    BTW, I'm glad you all are home, and I love your fall look here!

    Leah

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live