Babies Don't Keep

Photobucket

We had friends over the other night for dinner and I got this picture of Emily showing Laina how to draw a horse or something. I thought it was cute, but it also reminded me of how much she is growing up. There was a time when she would of been down on the floor playing with toys.

Her interests are starting to change. She is going to be 11 years old and while I'm thrilled with the young lady she is turning into, it reminds me that the time is flying by.

It reminds me to enjoy my children! I want to treasure every moment because all too soon they will be off to college and doing their own thing.

I have always loved this poem by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton.

Babies Don't Keep

Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth
empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
hang out the washing and butter the bread,
sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue
(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).
The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
and out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
but I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue?
(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
for children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

Comments

  1. Yes, they do grow so quickly! I can't believe that my oldest will be turning 18 in a couple of months!
    I too enjoy that poem!

    Blessings!
    ~Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only do children grow up too fast but so do grandchildren. It is hard to believe that so much time has passed.

    I look at the picture of your children when they were little and it seems just like yesterday.

    Enjoy them while you can! Cute picture, Terri!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live