Bits of Frugal

Photobucket

I've learned to be a frugal kind of gal. We have lived basically on one income for the past 9 1/2 years and what started out as being frugal by necessity has become a way of life.

One thing I have found that helps though is to not sneer at the little ways to be frugal. All those pennies can add up to dollars after awhile. Does me washing out one baggie really save that much? Not if it's just one or two, but after years of doing it - Absolutely!

Here are some little bits of frugal this past week:

• Picked 2 cupfuls of black cap berries from our yard. It wasn't enough for a pie, but they were good on cereal for two breakfasts and the rest went into a fruit salad.

• Took two pieces of leftover bacon and wrapped them up and put them in the freezer for a meal that requires crumbled bacon.

• I have a large coffee can on my counter where I put all the vegetable and fruit peelings, as well as egg shells and coffee grinds. When it's full I take it outside and dump in on the compost pile. Instead of paying for fertilizer, I make my own!

• Some place was giving away free plant samples (only one per customer). I took a little perennial plant for my flower garden.

• I tear my dryer sheets in half and use half per load when I use the dryer. The rest of the time I hang out the clothes.

• I threw the heels of bread into a bag in the freezer to make bread crumbs at a later date.

• I ordered movies from the library which costs me nothing.

• I took leftover steak, which I got on sale to begin with, and made philly cheese steak sandwiches with the leftovers.

There a multitude of other ways that I save money, but these are just a few from the past week. When you start using things up and making them stretch it will save money. I find that it's become fun to see how much I can save.

Comments

  1. Hi Terri.. I would say you are my kind of a gal!.. To me that is what we should be doing whether we need to or not. It is just good common sense and I really do try to teach that to the Keepers of the Home.. I really found it interesting what you do and would love to hear more...
    God Bless ..
    The Blessed hearth Blogspot
    Primitive Lace Blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Tips Terri. Being frugal seems to be on everyone's mind. I have been working on cutting our cost too.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. All good tips, Terri. Thanks for sharing. One of my tips is to take left over veggies scraps, peelings, tops of celery or whatever and put into bags in the freezer. Use it to make vegetable stock. I do this more in the winter as my compost gets most of the scraps this time of year. :) Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The two of us sure think alike! :)
    I am always thinking of ways to make things stretch.
    Some of our raspberries are ripe, but not enough to make a batch of jam yet, so we went ahead and mashed them and put them in the freezer. When I get enough, I will make my jam! :)

    Have a wonderful day!

    Blessings!
    ~Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right! Little bits of frugal turn into big ways to save money over the long haul. I like all your tips Terri!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All good tips! We do many of the same things here, and it has become second nature.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.