Walking With My Children

Photobucket

We rush through our days, brushing pass one another on our way from one event to the other. At the end of some days it feels like the only thing I've done is bark orders at the children or scold them for something they've done or not done.

Photobucket

Now that I'm working and school has started, this seems to be magnified. One of the reasons I love getting out in the woods and hiking with the kids is that it gives me an opportunity to reconnect with them.

The fresh air and quiet woods seem to be a catalyst to communication.

Photobucket

They tell me about school and the ways they are struggling. They share their concerns.

Photobucket

They also share their dreams and hopes. They tell me about their passions. I feel encouraged when they tell me how much they love our family.

Photobucket

I find out that one feels like he finally belongs and is gaining large amounts of self-confidence. Another shares his desire for the future and college.

Photobucket

My youngest just chatters happily and talks about her days and all the things she wants to do.

Photobucket

We leave the shadow of the woods and back into the busyness of our lives. There will still be days and weeks of feeling harried and hassled, yet somehow we feel closer because of our interlude in the forest.

Comments

  1. What a nice post. You made my day! You have a very nice family and I hope the best for each one. I believe God speaks to us better in the quiet of nature.
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely that you have a special way to connect. For some reason, my kids and I talk more while I'm driving them somewhere. I suppose it helps that our roads are remote and the scenery is dramatic and thought-provoking. Being out in the middle of no where helps us to open up to each other as we bob along the country lanes. Precious times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you could enjoy this special time with your kids!

    Have a blessed weekend,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live