Gardening 2011

Yesterday started the first day of our Spring break. I've gone back and forth the past few months about whether I was going to actually do a garden here this year. We just moved in and have enough to do with unpacking and adjusting to a new place. However, with the cost of food going up I decided to go ahead and start one.

I had toyed with the idea of raised beds, but the reality is that we do not have discretionary funds to play with. So I have to do it the cheapest way possible. So yesterday the boys started digging for me.

Photobucket

They ended up making a plot that is 385 square feet. It's not huge, but it is a start and I figure we can always expand it next year.

It was a big job, because they basically removed just the top layer of grass with the shovel. We don't have a rototiller so today they are going to go out and turn over the soil.

Photobucket

Again, I don't have money for fencing and deer are a huge problem here. I've also seen a stray bunny or two hopping around. So I bought some deer and rabbit repellent and I'm hoping it will work! I'd hate to spend all the time planting and then have the deer eat up the produce.

We have a friend who is a master gardener and that is what he uses so I'm assuming it will work for us too.

I'm looking forward to getting out there this week and planting some of the cool weather items such as spinach, lettuce and cabbage.

Comments

  1. Looks lovely - your kids are fab :)
    Happy hols - enjoy the break - ha like you'll be resting - you know what I mean - enjoy doing homey stuff.
    Much love,
    L.x.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try going to a local barber shop/beauty salon and collect their hair. Then put them in nylon stockings and stake it all around the garden. It is supposed to repel deer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks a good sized plot. I guess you might divide it up a bit when you start planning your planting.
    Good boys for doing the spade work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great Terri! We dug out our garden by hand the first year...it was a lot of hard work, but worth it when you harvest the veggies! :)
    I heard someone mention stringing fishing line around the outside of the garden to keep the deers out?!? Maybe it might work? :)

    Blessings!
    ~Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your garden! I love watching everything grow and I especially like eating it all! LOL
    I just read some where that if you plant pumpkin/squash around your garden and train the vines to go around you garden that the deer and raccoons don't like to walk on the vines....

    Coleen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aren't sons wonderful? Hope you can get a little R & R on your break!

    Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  7. We know the truth, not only by the reason, but also by the heart.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live