No Greater Joy

Photobucket

I wanted to share some thoughts on joy because it is something I struggle with frequently. I don't like to think I am, but sometimes I can be a glass half full type of person.

I focus so much on the negative with my husband, my children, our church family that I really can miss blessings that are right under my nose.

3 John 1:3-4 ~

"It gave me great joy when some believers came and testified about your faithfulness to the truth, telling how you continue to walk in it. I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth."


Yesterday morning at church, three children, including Emily shared about their experience at camp this past July. Then Stephen shared his as well as giving the sermon.

So often I focus on his lack of motivation, his inability to focus, his poor grades, etc. Yesterday morning he BLEW MY SOCKS OFF!!!!

He has never done anything like this before. He stood up and for 35 minutes shared about his camp experience, while showing slides. He read verses on God's protection and shared about how he struggled with anxiety for years and how God has been delivering him from that.

He was poised. He was funny. He kept everyone's attention. He was moving. He preached God's word. He was AWESOME!

I actually was moved to tears at how well he did and how God was using him in our congregation. I was reminded of these verses in I John. I honestly had no greater joy than seeing my son walking in the truth.

And yet, I missed how God has been working in him because I have been focusing on the negative. It makes me want to cry to see how I miss the blessing so many times because I'd rather focus on what's lacking.

I felt led to encourage us all to keep praying for our husbands and children. But also to focus on the good points in their lives. To keep our eyes on the things that are positive and not constantly look at the things that are negative.

Let's keep our attitudes and our thoughts joyful!

Comments

  1. Terri, that must have been a very humbling experience. Well done Stephen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll never forget that moment, how wonderful. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very good post. We always need to focus on the positive and let God deal with the negative. I'm so happy Stephen did so well and did the sermon. Does he want to follow in his dad's footsteps and be a minister? I am also so glad for you. I know my mother's heart would be just bursting with happiness!!
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is wonderful and I know your heart is blessed, it is great osee our children doing what they had been taught, sometimes they do, some times they don't. It was a good time, and I know he made you happy. Blessings and hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful...both for him and your church congregation!

    Blessings!
    ~Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy, he does not. He wants to go into wildlife management or biology. He definitely loves the outdoors and wants to do something along those lines.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go, Stephen! We are also very proud of you for being able to do that and making your mother so proud. Grandpa was impressed to hear that you did such a good job and sends his congratulations. We wish we could have been there to listen to your sermon.

    God is using you and molding you into the great young man He wants you to be. Keep walking in His Light, Stephen and Good Job!!

    Love,
    Grandma & Grandpa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live